Saturday 29 March 2014

Ceramics Induction Part 1


Our class undertook an induction in the ceramics department as a 4 week mini project, which involved using a lot of plasticine!

Firstly, we had to design a character, so after drawing this out on paper and determining where the skeleton will be, we could start making the models.

The first task we had was to create the wire armatures (by folding a long piece of wire in half and clipping it in the drill to spin it around to make it stronger. At first it's hard to figure out how tight to spin them, because if it's too tight then it won't bend, and if it's not tight enough then it won't be very strong. Once I tried it a few times then it worked well.

Then I tried the slightly harder task of sawing a metal rod and using a hammer to bend it. I found this more difficult because it requires physical strength to get it done quickly. I eventually managed it and was able to move on the the armature making...

This required using the wires I had spun earlier and bending them into the shape of my design. I didn't enjoy this part as much because the wire didn't bend as easily as I thought it would, but after referencing from my drawing I was able to create a basic structure which was attached to the metal rod that I'd cut earlier (placed in a hole in a piece of wood).

Once the wire was complete I was able to start mixing some milliput (two
tubes of plasticine-like substance that harden when mixed together) which was used as the muscles of my armature, leaving the joints free to move.

After the milliput was placed, we had to leave them to set, and carry on with the process a week later. This started off with us putting plasters over the milliput, so that the plasticine we were about to apply would stick to the model.

I have photographed the process of applying the plasticine, seeing my character slowly develop over time. (Left hand side)

Overall I have enjoyed this process of making a model; Designing a
character and seeing it come to life over time is so rewarding, and experimenting with the different tools to develop textures was enjoyable. My favourite part was creating the accessories, such as the hair and hat, because they are the main aspects that have given my character a personality.




Drawing of my character










Armature with Milliput














No comments:

Post a Comment