Saturday 15 March 2014

Form, Flow & Force

The final task under our module for Visual Language is Form, Flow and Force. This involves getting into small groups and taking it in turns to pose and draw each other; to have at least 4 drawings for each task.
It was split into four different types of poses we had to capture:

Rhythm Is A Dancer
The first was to complete some form of walk cycle, holding each pose for 10 seconds, doing a series of 12 drawings per page.
The essence of the task was to get us to think about the shape of the body, not necessarily all the body parts, just the gist of what form the model is taking...



For all of these ones, I mistakenly tried to draw every limb of the body, which caused me to draw lots of jagged unsure lines, rather then one flowing movement.
However I think in this image in particular, if you look at the line created by the heads you can see the movement of my classmate in one flow.

Like A Puppet On A String
This task was to practice "squash and stretch" or exaggerating the features; where some started out curled up in a ball and ending with their arms stretched out, or vice versa.
I think this was to practice capturing each stage in the process of movement, and thinking about which limbs are moving the most.



I think I was starting to get better at thinking about the general shape rather then the whole body in these; because my tutors advice was to draw just one or two lines rather then more!
I still think there's room for improvement, where I position the drawings on the page is important as well (even if I have to overlap my drawings)

Ah! Push It
These poses were held for slightly longer (5-10 minutes), with someone pushing or pulling something.
Here we were supposed to focus on where the weight of the body is centred, and what movement is required to push or pull an object.



I enjoyed having a longer period of time on these drawings, because it allowed me more time to decide what the figure should look like and time to change it if there were any mistakes.
Looking back on my drawings, I start to notice how some of them are slightly out of proportion, and I needed to think more about the positioning on the page since parts of the images were cut off.
However I think I've more accurately captured the shapes of the bodies within the time limit, but if I could go back over them I would try and add more weight to the required parts and possibly add colour.

Strike A Pose
The final task was to hold a pose for 20-30 minutes - preferably a comfortable one - so that the others can add more detail to the drawings.



Again with this pose, after finishing the drawings I started to notice that some aspects of the body are out of proportion (such as the head in the image above).
Despite this, I think I've managed to capture the general shape of my classmates, which become more proportioned gradually from the first to last drawings.
I would have experimented with different media, but I wasn't entirely confident with my drawing skills, so thought it would be best if I stuck to my most comfortable media - pencil.

Overall, I enjoyed the longer poses more, because it allowed me more time to think about the figure and positioning of the body, whereas the first two tasks required me to draw in a way that I'm not used to, so found it more challenging to draw expressive lines.


No comments:

Post a Comment