Friday 4 April 2014

Reference Material - Walk Cycle

To animate my walk cycle, I needed to look at how a sad walk cycle should look, so I found this:


Sad, Slow Walk Cycle from Lindsey Bunish on Vimeo.

Observing the body language, I can see the head and top half of the body are very weighed down, causing the legs and feet to stay close to the ground as they move.
There isn't a lot of difference in the height of the person throughout the movement, just a small bobbing action.
The back is arced, which is what is causing everything else to move in a lower position.
The foot flicks back slightly as one is lifted off the ground and moving forward into the next step, which suggests the toes stay glued to the ground as long as possible, suggesting the person is slightly reluctant to move.
The arms swing slowly in time with the legs, giving the whole body a slow momentum and allowing the audience to follow the pace more fluently.

After watching this video, I will take these points and try to apply them to my animation, to portray the fact that my character is sad/depressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment