Sunday 12 October 2014

Mind Map/Idea Generation

To figure out a starting point for my new project Character and Narrative, I created a mind map of songs I could potentially take lyrics from:


After contemplating all of these I drafted out my ideas in these thumbnails:


The first idea, 'U can't touch this', is originally an upbeat song about how high in confidence/ego the singers are. Another way to interpret the phrase 'can't touch this' would be in a strict manner where someone isn't allowed to touch a valuable object, such as in a museum with rare artefacts.

The original song 'When will my life begin' shows Rapunzel in the film Tangled running around her tower listing off chores/activities she does whilst stuck in the tower. A more obvious way to talk about doing chores is if there's a child/teenager that doesn't want to complete the chores, so my idea would involve me sounding tired and fed up listing off chores I had to do later that day.

'Yellow submarine' was originally sung by The Beatles, in a generally surreal experience singing about a man who lives in a submarine. It could be interpreted into a storytelling environment talking about a man that I know...

The song 'Patience' by Take That sings of a love story where the man needs time before they can happily be together. Another way I could take this phrase is if someone is frustrated and asking someone else for patience as they try to get a job done.

'Home' is sung by Michael Buble and describes his sadness about missing his family while he's travelling the world. An idea I thought of relating to this involves a documentary style tone to the voice describing my surroundings and time period.

'Be our guest' is a song that features on the film 'Beauty and the Beast', involving the servants inviting the main character to enjoy their service. I would say the lyrics in a similar way to the original except having one character giving a tour of the kitchen/dining room.

Out of these ideas the two I like best are 'When will my life begin' and 'Yellow submarine'. I think both have a lot of potential, so I will draft them both into storyboards to see which idea pans out the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment